Top Kitchen Design Trends of 2017
Are you planning a kitchen renovation this year? Are you clueless where to start? Lucky for all of us, Houzz ran a study to identify the top kitchen trends that will be coming in 2017. The survey, ran in mid-2016, surveyed Houzz registered users in the U.S. about their plans for future kitchen renovations. This study outlined everything from countertop materials, flooring materials, wall finishes and colors, lighting types, and more. They even got in to some of the rationale and reasons why people are renovating.
Here are some of the highlights:
- Healthier lifestyles: 1/3 of respondents to the study reported that they wanted to lead a healthier lifestyle after a kitchen renovation (prepare more meals at home, eat more fruits and vegetables, etc.)
- 3 of the top 4 major features being replaced are around the sink: Countertops, backsplashes, sinks, and faucets are the top 4 major features being replaced in kitchens in 2017.
- Modern and farmhouse kitchens for millennials: Contemporary was the main style choice across the board, but millennials preferred either more modern kitchens or farmhouse kitchens
- Beautiful, yet durable materials: Look and durability of materials is the main motivator amidst this group or survey respondents. Marble countertops and wood flooring were rated high. Copper sinks would also fall into the category of beautiful and durable.
- More space: Over 1/3 of respondents wanted to increase the size of the room – 51% wanted the kitchen more open to other rooms of the house, and 20% were looking to open more to the outdoors.
Here are a few more detailed points from the study:
Top Reasons to Overhaul
- 51% of survey respondents want the kitchen to be more open to the other rooms in their house
- 49% hoped for more family time after their kitchen renovation
- 41% plan for more home cooking and 40% plan more entertaining
- Contemporary is the most popular style with 22% of respondents (up 3% from last year)
- Transitional is at 16% and traditional at 13%
- Millennial homeowners (ages 25-34) are more likely to choose modern or farmhouse kitchen styles
Top Upgraded Features
- 95% of respondents said they will be upgrading their countertops
- 89% said they were replacing their kitchen sinks
- 88% would be replacing their kitchen faucet or other plumbing fixtures
- 84% are upgrading their lighting (71% of them are installing undercabinet lighting)
Top Built-In Features
- 41% want to install pantry cabinets into their new kitchens
- 40% want to include an island in their new kitchen design (up 3% from last year)
Top Countertop Materials
- Granite still rules at 41% (a 4% increase from last year)
- Engineered quartz is a close second at 40%
Top Colors in a Kitchen Update
- Appliances: 72% stainless steel
- Countertops: 33% multicolored (and 21% white)
- Floors: 29% wood-medium (total wood: 48%)
- Cabinets: 42% white (up 4% from last year’s study)
- Backsplash: 29% white (up 4% from last year’s study), and 23% multicolored
- Walls: 26% gray (up 4% from last year’s study), with beige at a close second at 24%
If you are interested in reading the full study, check it out here.
Be sure to check out the Sinkology Houzz page for a full listing of available copper sinks, accessories, home decor items, and care products. From now until February 5th, 2017, Sinkology is offering 10% off all of our kitchen copper sinks at Houzz. So, if you’re planning on renovating your kitchen, now’s the time to get that copper sink!
If you are planning a kitchen renovation or redesign this year, Sinkology makes pinpointing a starting point easy with our All-In-One Design Kits available at the Home Depot. We have paired our copper sinks with a complementing faucet from Pfister, accessories, and care items. It’s everything you need to get started with your kitchen planning.
If you have any additional questions during your search for the perfect copper sink, our Sinkologists are here to help. Contact us or follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Houzz, Pinterest, or Instagram for more helpful tips and design ideas.