Citrus Mango Slaw Recipe
Sinkology is proud to present Emily Schuermann, our food-loving guest blogger who runs Food for a Year. Emily is here to share some recipes she has created exclusively for the Sinkology blog that reflect her view of a copper sink: simple, timeless, affordable, and beautifully rustic.
Every once in a while, we all need a little something “new” to work into our traditional Memorial Day cookout menu. So, what better way to change things up than to include this simple slaw recipe in your holiday eating plans!
This recipe is super simple, with a short ingredient list and it’s “no-cooking required” assembly. ((One less recipe requiring me to sweat over a hot stove is always a winner)). But if “simple” was the only selling point for this recipe, it probably wouldn’t get much attention. The flavor is where it’s at. The flavor is like a flurry of firecrackers popping off in rapid succession across the tastebuds. It’s a WOW – folks.
Sweet and peppery mango partners with the homemade cilantro citrus salad dressing and tiny bits of red onion and jalapeño in such a magical & perfect way.
In addition to the simple assembly, short grocery list and rock-star flavor, this recipe has a secret shortcut that makes this coleslaw a sure favorite. I prefer chopping and slicing all my veggies by hand, but if you don’t have the time or desire, simply use a pre-made coleslaw mix found in the refrigerated section of the produce aisle. Add some pre-diced red onion, a dash of red pepper flakes & sliced mango – and you are well on your way to side-dish heaven!
For this recipe, I finely chopped or julienned the following:
- red onion
- bell pepper
To this, I added ½ a medium head of cabbage ((shredded)). All of this chopping and shredding can be done ahead of time ((and, as I mentioned already, most of it can also be purchased ready to use)), up to a day in advance. Just cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
An hour before serving, begin preparing the dressing by zesting & juicing the citrus.
In a pint-sized jar, combine:
- citrus juice
- chopped cilantro
- salt & pepper (to taste)
Seal the lid, shake and refrigerate until ready to use.
30 minutes before service, pour half of the dressing over the slaw, toss and refrigerate until serving time. Use additional dressing as needed.
For another way to enjoy this slaw, serve it over your favorite pulled pork sandwich or as a hamburger topping. OR, how about turning this slaw into fish tacos? The possibilities are endless! This recipe is a perfect way to kick-off summer. Simple & crazy delicious.
- ½ medium head cabbage, shredded**
- 3 T red onion, finely chopped
- 3 T jalapeño, finely chopped***
- 1 medium carrot, julienned**
- ¼ c bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 ripe (or slightly underripe) mango, peeled & julienned
- 1 orange, zested
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1 lime, zested
- 1 t honey
- ½ t kosher salt
- ¼ t black pepper
- ¼ c cilantro, chopped
- In a large bowl, combine slaw ingredients*. Toss, cover and refrigerate until ready to dress.
- In a pint-sized jar with a lid*, combine juice from HALF of each: orange, lemon & lime. Add zest, honey, salt & pepper and cilantro. Cover, shake and refrigerate.
- 30 minutes before service, pour half of the dressing over the slaw, toss and refrigerate.
- Serve with remaining dressing, allowing guests to add additional dressing as desired.
- Serves 6
- *Slaw and dressing can be prepared up to one day in advance. Don't add dressing until 30 minutes before service.
- **One bag of coleslaw mix is a great substitute if you don't want to make your own!
- *** jalapeno can be omitted or exchanged for crushed red pepper flakes
For more recipes from our copper-loving foodie, check out our blog. If you have any questions about copper or copper sinks, our Sinkologists are here to help. Contact us or follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Houzz, Pinterest, or Instagram for helpful tips, recipes, and design ideas.